Illumos based OpenIndiana Hipster 2018.10 released.
Mr. Alexander Pyhalov of OpenIndiana project has announced the release of OpenIndiana Hipster 2018.10. It is a stable snapshot of the rolling operating system using Illumos kernel. This release includes numerous package updates and bug fixes.
What is OpenIndiana Hipster?
OpenIndiana Hipster is a rapid development branch of OpenIdiana, an operating system using the Illumos Kernel. The Hipster follows a rolling release model.
Illumos is a consolidated software which provides the essential operating system components like the file system, device drivers, core system libraries and other essential tools.
What is new in Hipster 2018.10?
OpenIndiana Hipster comes with a set of updated applications. It also includes some security fixes for recently found vulnerabilities. The main changes in OpenIndiana Hipster 2018.10 are as follows.
- Mate desktop has been updated to version 1.20.
- Python 3.5 was added. It includes a lot of modules in additions to the modules provided for 2.7 and 3.4
- The Image Packaging System has received a lot of updates from OmniOS CE IPS and Solaris IPS.
- KVM zone brand now allows you to manage your KVM VMs as illumos zones.
- Several new compilers were added, including GCC 8 (with patches necessary to build illumos) and Rust 1.29. GCC 6 and GCC 7 is still available.
- A lot of components were migrated to 64-bit-only, most newly added software defaults to 64-bit.
- Due to recent security fixes, compatibility with some Solaris applications was broken. This also includes compatibility for VirtualBox.
- GTK+2 was updated to 2.24.32. GTK+3 was updated to 3.24.1, Nimbus theme was rebased on to the top of the B00merang Project theme and updated to work with new GTK+.
- LightDM Gtk Greeter is updated to 2.0.5 and it uses Nimbus theme.
- VLC 2.2.8 and multimedia libraries were migrated to 64-bit; VLC 3.0.4 is still in testing.
For a complete list of changes in OpenIndiana Hipster 2018.10, read the release announcement and release notes published on projects website.