4MLinux 27.0 improves multimedia and gaming experience
The 4MLinux team has announced the availability of 4MLinux 27.0 STABLE. It is the latest stable release of minimal GNU/Linux distribution focusing on core values like maintenance, multimedia, mini server and mystery (small games).
The 4MLinux 27.0 contains various features and package updates to provide a better multimedia and gaming experience.
4MLinux 27.0 Preview (Courtesy: 4MLinux)
As usual releases, 4MLinux 27.0 comes with some additional features and updated packages. These features include better display driver compatibility on KVM mode and extra game packages.
Let’s talk about feature improvements first.
Any release announcement or news incomplete without mentioning the features of that release.
The main features included in 4MLinux 27.0 release are,
- optional support for AV1 video coding (encoding via FFmpeg and decoding via VLC and mpv)
- option to disable PulseAudio with one click (important for those who use 4MLinux to play classic video games such as DOOM)
- better support for display drivers when 4MLinux is running in KVM (important for those who use a VNC client to manage 4MServer).
- LazPaint (small yet powerful raster image editor with layers) and Blender (professional 3D design software) have been added as downloadable extensions.
- More game engines available for XBoard (GNU Chess, GNU Shogi, Fairy-Max) as well as more video games to play (Duke3D, Liero, Strifle).
- Added some terminal based games.
4MLinux 27.0 brings updated packages!
Package updates are an essential part of any release. The main packages included in 4MLinux 27.0 includes,
- LibreOffice 220.127.116.11 and GNOME Office (AbiWord 3.0.2, GIMP 2.10.8, Gnumeric 1.12.43)
- DropBox 61.4.95
- Firefox 63.0.3
- Chromium 70.0.3538.67
- Thunderbird 60.3.2 and Skype for Web
- Audacious 3.10
- VLC 3.0.4 and mpv 0.28.2
- ..and more
For a complete list of features and updates in 4MLinux 27.0, read the release announcement in 4MLinux blog.