NomadBSD 1.3 released with FreeBSD 12.1-RELEASE
On 7th December 2019, the NomadBSD team has announced release of NomadBSD 1.3. This stable release of NomadBSD is based on FreeBSD 12.1-RELEASE and provides numerous visible and under the hood improvements.
NomadBSD is a persistent live distribution with a thoroughly customized OpenBox window manager. It can be used for fixing common boot issues, data recovery, and other educational activities.
What changed since NomadBSD 1.2?
NomadBSD 1.3 fixes some critical issues and provides various feature improvements. The main changes in this release candidate are summarized below.
- FreeBSD 12.1-RELEASE-p1 Foundation
- Due to a deadlock problem, FreeBSD’s unionfs has been replaced by unionfs-fuse.
- The GPT layout has been changed to MBR. This prevents boot issues in some Lenovo systems.
- NomadBSD now supports ZFS installation.
- The rc-script for configuring the network interfaces has been fixed.
- Auto-configuration for running in VirtualBox is included.
- A check for the default display has been added to the graphics configuration scripts. This fixes problems where users with Optimus have their NVIDIA card disabled, and use the integrated graphics chip instead.
- NVIDIA driver version 440 has been added.
- nomadbsd-dmconfig, a Qt tool for selecting the display manager theme, setting the default user and autologin have been added.
- nomadbsd-adduser, a Qt tool for added preconfigured user accounts to the system has been added.
- Czech translations to the setup and installation wizard.
- Redesigned the NomadBSD logo.
- Support for localized error messages
- Support for localizing the password prompts
- Some templates for starting other DEs have been added to ~/.xinitrc.
- The interfaces of nomadbsd-setup-gui and nomadbsd-install-gui have been improved.
- The Xorg driver for newer Intel GPUs has been changed from intel to modesetting.
- DSBBg which allows users to change and manage wallpapers
- The latest version of update_obmenu now supports auto-updating the Openbox menu.
- Support for multiple keyboard layouts
- www/palemoon has been removed.
- mail/thunderbird has been removed.
- The password manager fpm2 has been replaced by KeePassXC
Read the original release announcement in NomadBSD official website.