Lubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish beta released with LXQt Desktop for the first time
Mr Simon Quigley of Lubuntu project has announced the availability of Lubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish Beta for testing. Lubuntu 18.10 is going to be the first release to replace LXDE with LXQt, a lightweight desktop environment using the Qt framework. With this release, Lubuntu is taking a big direction change and the expectation is to attract more users.
Lubuntu 18.10 and the succeeding releases will be using LXQt. The LXDE and related tools and applications will be no longer be supported. Instead of the LXDE tools, Lubuntu 18.10 will be using the following technologies.
- LXQt 0.13.0, with many bugfixes and improvements backported from upstream.
- Qt 5.11.1, which is the first point release in the Qt 5.11 series.
- KDE Falkon 3.0.1, which is based on the Qt WebEngine toolkit.
- The LibreOffice 6.1.1 suite, with the Qt 5 frontend.
- VLC 3.0.4, for viewing media and listening to music.
- Featherpad 0.9.0, for notes and code editing.
- Discover Software Center 5.13.5, for an easy, graphical way to install and update software.
Download Lubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish beta
Lubuntu Cosmic Cuttlefish is available for 32-bit and 64-bit architectures. These images can be downloaded using the links given below.