GhostBSD 19.09 released with TrueOS STABLE base
Mr ericbsd of GhostBSD team has announced the release of GhostBSD 19.09, latest stable release of TrueOS based BSD distribution. This release is a mixture of under the hood strategic changes and visible improvements.
One of the key change in GhostBSD 19.09 release is rebasing from TrueOS CURRENT branch to STABLE branch. This also implies, GhostBSD 19.09 does not provide an upgrade path from previous releases. The team promises, this would be the last major release from the GhostBSD project, that breaks the update path.
Other noteworthy features in GhostBSD 19.09 release are summarized below.
- GhostBSD 19.09 is built from TrueOS/FreeBSD 12.0-STABLE
- OpenRC is updated to 0.41.2
- GhostBSD now use TrueOS packages base from ports
- NetworkMgr CPU usage got improved
- A lot of unnecessary software got removed
- Exaile got replaced with Rhythmbox
- Gnome MPV got replaced by VLC
- XFburn got replaced by Brasero
- Vim got replaced by Tiny Vim
- The Display Manager switched to Slick Greeter for our LightDM frontend
- Vimix got an update and improved for MATE, XFCE
- amdgpu and radeonkms was added to xconfig options
You may read the GhostBSD 19.09 release announcement in the project’s website.