Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia MATE & Cinnamon editions released
The Linux Mint team has announced release of Linux Mint 18.3 MATE & Cinnamon editions with code name Sylvia. This release is based on Ubuntu 16.04.x LTS branch and will be supported till 2021. It comes with various updated packages and desktop refinements to provide a more reliable and efficient experience to it’s users.
Some of the important highlights in Linux Mint 18.3 release includes:
- Redesigned app center - Linux Mint was one of the early adopters of App Center concept in GNU/Linux & BSD world. It’s app center was looking the same since it’s inception. By this release, Linux Mint team has spent significant effort on app centre redesign. Inspired by GNOME Software, it provides more consistent and reliable user experience. It features various commonly used applications like Spotify, WhatsApp, Skype, Google Earth, Steam or Minecraft ..etc
- Linux Mint 18.3 introduces support for flatpak, a modern binary distribution system. It helps to install bleeding edge packages in your system even if dependencies are not met.
- The backup tool was completely rewritten to make it simple, efficient and effective.
- Linux Mint 18.3 features Timeshift, a tool dedicated to system snapshots.
- A new tool called “System Reports” was developed for Linux Mint 18.3. Its goal is to generate reports when software crashes occur, and to show information relevant to your computer and your environment.
- Also, there are multiple improvements in XApps, a OS independent collection of applications maintained by Linux Mint team.
- and more..
For more information see separate official release announcements for Linux Mint Cinnamon & MATE editions.