Sparky 6.0 Po Tolo released with Debian Bullseye Foundation
The Sparky Linux team has announced the public availability of Sparky 6.0 with the code name Po Tolo. Sparky 6.0 is a successor of the Debian Bullseye branch, and it is fully compatible with the former.
Along with the regular package updates from the Debian foundation, Sparky 6.0 replaces the Sparky APTus with the Sparky Aptus AppCenter. The Sparky APTus has the below salient features.
- Install/Remove and manage from 2500 popular packages, including 20 pre-configured desktop environments.
- Inherits all tools from Sparky APTus consisting of the tools to update packages and upgrade the system.
- Install and manage different kernel versions.
In addition to the Sparky APTus AppCenter, Sparky 6.0 has the below noteworthy features.
- Debian Bullseye Foundation. All package updates from Debian “Bullseye” & Sparky “Po Tolo” repos as of August 16, 2021
- Firefox 78.13.0ESR instead of Firefox (latest)
- Thunderbird 78.13.0
- VLC 3.0.16
- LibreOffice 7.0.4
- Calamares 18.104.22.168
- Linux kernel 5.10.46 LTS as default
- default desktop font size set to 11
- MinimalGUI: PCManFM replaces DoubleCMD-GTK; Firefox-ESR replaces Epiphany browser
- MinimalCLI: removed multilingual from boot settings and CLI installer
- RiseupVPN comes in all Sparky 6.0 variations to provide better security.
- Sparky Welcome replaces Sparky FirstRun.
- Introduces new wallpapers.
- Sparky FirstRun app has been removed and replaced by Sparky Welcome.
For further information on Sparky 6.0, read the release announcement in projects website.