Kali Linux 2020.3 released; Introduces ZSH.
The Kali Linux team has announced the release of Kali Linux 2020.3, 3rd quarterly release of Kali Linux in 2020. This release brings various updates and strategic changes.
One of the major highlights in Kali Linux 2020.3 is the availability of ZSH as an alternative shell. The introduction of ZSH provides a better, and user-friendly shell experience. It is highly customizable and offers more flexibility. In Kali Linux 2020.3, BASH remains as the default shell, however in Kali Linux 2021.1 - bash will be completely replaced with ZSH.
The other noteworthy highlights in Kali Linux 2020.3 includes the below:
- Introduces Win-Kex that takes (Windows Subsystem for Linux - WSL) to the next level. Win-Kex offers a persistent GUI session within the windows session and it can be activated by a single-click or a command.
- Introduces kali-hidpi-mode with which users can switch between HiDPi configurations easily.
- Better tool icons. With the standard theme, every default tool included in the Kali Linux will be having its own icon.
- Introduces Bluetooth Arsenal - It combines a set of Bluetooth tools in the Kali NetHunter app with some pre-configured workflows and exciting use cases. You can use your external adapter for reconnaissance, spoofing, listening to, and injecting audio into various devices, including speakers, headsets, watches, or even cars.
- Minor updates in GNOME desktop including a new theme for nautilus, consistent user experience in system monitor, and improved design for nested header bars.
For more details on Kali Linux 2020.3, read the release announcement published in the Kali Linux blog.