Sparky 2021.09 (semi-rolling) is out with the Debian Bookworm foundation
The Sparky Linux team has announced the release of Sparky 2021.09 in the semi-rolling line. The Sparky 2021.09 inherits from the current Debian testing branch - Bookworm.
Sparky 2021.09 points its repositories to Debian Bookworm and Sparky Orion lines. All the packages are in sync with both of the repositories as of 17th September 2021.
What changed in Sparky 2021.09?
Following are the noteworthy highlights of the Sparky 2021.09 release.
- repositories set to Debian “Bookworm” and Sparky “Orion Belt”
- all packages updated as of September 17, 2021
- new backgrounds: desktop, login manager, Plymouth & boot screen, etc.
- Linux kernel 5.10.46 (5.14.6 & 5.15-rc1 in Sparky unstable repos)
- GCC 10 is still as default, but GCC 11 is also installed
- no more Sparky Advanced Installed GUI; the Advanced installer works in text mode only now; the first window lets you choose the standard version of the installer or DEV version with disk encryption and LVM support;
- ‘sparky-upgrade’ text-based tool is also preinstalled in CLI iso
- packages removed from iso: mc, GParted
- new package installed: lfm
- Calamares 3.2.43
How to get Sparky 2021.09?
For the existing users of Sparky using 2019.x, 2020.x, 2021.x or 6.0, there is no reinstallation required. The users can update from the command line or the GUI tool.
If you would like to keep Sparky rolling, change Debian repos to ‘bookworm’ and Sparky repos to ‘Orion: https://sparkylinux.org/new-testing-line-of-sparky-7/ and make a full system upgrade:
For the new users, download Sparky 2021.09 images from the project’s website.
For further information, read Sparky 2021.09 release announcement in the projects website.