elementary OS 7 has been released
The elementary project has announced the release of elementary OS 7 with the code name Horus. The elementary OS 7 further improves the user experience with better app management, feature additions, and enhanced developer platform.
What’s new in elementary OS 7?
AppCenter improved in elementary OS 7 with more engaging app descriptions, easier app updates, and better sideloading.
The AppCenter is more responsive now, it can adjust based on the screen size.
The elementary 7 release ships GNOME Web 43 which includes support for creating web apps which show in the applications menu.
The elementary OS 7 release includes several new features.
- Introduces the ability to send feedback directly to app developers.
- Refines the system installer experience to reduce the number of screens and to enhance user experience further.
- Onboarding includes a new view for configuring automatic updates, and adds a Sunset to Sunrise option for the dark style.
- The Mail App has undergone a redesign to have a more contemporary, flat look and is being made more responsive. The unified inbox now accommodates Microsoft 365 accounts, and various potential crashes and freezes have been fixed.
- The printer settings received significant improvements with redesigns and added features, such as the ability to clear print queues for each printer and a more straightforward view of ink levels.
- The Music app has been completely revamped with a design centered on quick access and playback of individual audio files or the local music library.
- Introduces power profiles management in system settings which includes a performance mode for devices that support it.
- Introduces the ability to set terminal commands for hot corners.
- Paid special attention on the performance improvement and has rewritten several parts of the system towards this objective.
Developer platform improvement
The elementary OS 7 makes the developer experience much better.
- Most app icons have been changed to a uniform tile shape with added elements. The new design is modern and still keeps its charm while allowing for creativity.
- The elementary OS 7 uses Gtk4 more extensively. Some apps and desktop parts have already been changed to Gtk4, such as Calculator, Sideload, Shortcuts, Music, and Onboarding. More changes to Gtk4 will happen during OS 7’s lifetime.
- Elementary app framework Granite and system stylesheet updated for Gtk 4 with new features and API changes for easier app building.
- The Code app is optimized for responsiveness and can now be tiled on small displays. Project sidebar is full-height and source view has new light/dark styles. Code follows system-wide dark style preference.
For further insights on elementary OS 7, read the official release announcement on elementary blog.
Download elementary OS 7
Elementary OS is a project that invovles Pay What You Want model. So, you can pay any amount or no amount at all and download elementary OS 7 from its home page. Download elementary OS 7
elementary OS 7.0 screenshots
For more videos, subscribe our channel DistroScreens on YouTube.