OpenSUSE Tumbleweed Xfce screenshots, pros, and cons
OpenSUSE Tumbleweed a rolling distribution that offers the latest stable packages in the OpenSUSE ecosystem. It includes several varieties including, desktop operating systems, container images, and virtual machine specific images.
In this review, let us explore the OpenSUSE Tumbleweed Xfce spin, downloaded on 20th June 2020. This flavor of OpenSUSE offers all the core benefits of OpenSUSE. Also, it comes with a professionally configured look and feels. Let’s go through it.
- OpenSUSE Tumbleweed Xfce Live CD
- HP Probook 4230s - 2011
- Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2310M CPU @ 2.10GHz
- RAM - 2GiB
- OpenSUSE Xfce Spin Includes the core benefits of OpenSUSE like YaST Control Center for system administration, stability, and latest packages as in Tumbleweed repositories.
- OpenSUSE Xfce is having a professional look and feel, with a slightly customized version of Greybird Gtk Theme, Elementary Xfce Icon theme, and wisely chosen fonts with optimum contrast settings. Even though distributions like Xubuntu have similar theme configurations, the font selection, and contrast settings are not the best in those distributions.
- The live image comes with a minimum, but all essential applications. So, it does not give a bloated feeling.
- Memory usage is slightly higher compared to Debian based Xfce distributions like MX, Xubuntu, and Linux Mint.
- I was not able to play a .mp4 file with the Parole Media Player, included by default. It offers to install additional codecs when I open a .mp4 file, but nothing happens if I ask to install the same. This problem may be a Tumbleweed issue or a live image specific issue. I was able to play .mp3 file with the default music player included.
OpenSUSE Tumbleweed Xfce screenshots
01 OpenSUE Welcome02 OpenSUSE Xfce Desktop03 Whisker Menu04 Application Finder05 Thunar File Manager06 Xfce Terminal07 Busy Desktop08 Window Switching09 Firefox Browser10 Parole Media Player11 Pragha Music Player12 Ristretto Image Viewer13 Shotwell Image Manager14 Mousepad Text Editor15 Settings Manager16 YaST tools in menu17 YaST - Control Center18 Software Manager19 Context Menu20 Background Selection21 About Xfce22 Default theme23 Default icon theme24 Default fonts25 Default Window Manager theme26 Resource usage - task manager27 Resource usage - top28 Resource usage - htop29 Shutdown confirmation