Ubuntu is a popular GNU/Linux distribution backed by Canonical. It is capable of supporting different hardware platforms like server computers, cloud systems, desktops, tablets, and mobiles.
Ubuntu was started back in 2004 and over the years it has grown to become the most popular open source operating system. Presently Ubuntu most used open source cloud solution and it acts as a stable base for other solutions offered by Canonical such as OpenStack.
When the project was started back in 2004, Ubuntu was using GNOME 2.x as default desktop environment. Later when GNOME 2.x development was discontinued in favor of GNOME 3.x / GNOME shell, Ubuntu started developing their own shell named Unity.
Unity served as default desktop environment of Ubuntu for 7 years. The main motive of unity was to offer a uniform user experience across the devices. This idea of convergence was discontinued by Canonical owing to poor reception in the market.
Beginning from Ubuntu 17.10, the default desktop environment is GNOME shell. Instead of shipping the Vanilla GNOME shell, Canonical does a decent amount customization on top of GNOME to retain the user experience established by Unity over the years.
|Page Hit Rank (rank/views)||16(5 hits per month)|
|Desktop Envrionments|| |
|Distributions based on Ubuntu|
Reviews of Ubuntu
- Ubuntu 17.04 is fairly solid, though does not offer anything significant
- Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapata - Viva la revolucion!
- Ubuntu 17.04 is a good release, except the Horrible DNS Issue (now ‘fixed’)
- Comparing Ubuntu 16.10 flavors : Ubuntu, Ubuntu GNOME, Kubuntu and Xubuntu
- Why Ubuntu 16.04 LTS is most secure distribution out of the box?
Other stories on Ubuntu
- A cloud optimized, minimal Ubuntu image is available now
- Ubuntu 18.10 will be named as Cosmic Cuttlerfish
- GNOME Shell 3.25.91 lands in Artful, final release will ship with 3.26
- Ubuntu 16.04 is now available in Windows Store
- Kubernetes 1.7 is now available for Ubuntu
- Ubuntu 17.10 Yakkety Yak reaches end of life on 20th July 2017
- Ubuntu on AWS gets better performance by AWS-tuned Kernel
- Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin retires on 28th April 2017
- Microsoft SQL Server public preview is available for Ubuntu
- Ubuntu 20.10 Groovy Gorilla released
- Ubuntu 20.04 release & screenshots
- Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine released, see screenshots
- Ubuntu 19.04 Disco Dingo release schedule
- Samsung introduces Linux on DeX in collaboration with Canonical
- Ubuntu publishes the user statistics for Ubuntu 18.04 Artful Aardvark
- Ubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish released with a fresh desktop theme & improved snap integration
- Ubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish beta released
- Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition becomes first OEM hardware with Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
- Ubuntu 18.04 final beta images are availabe now
- Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS will be postponed till February 9, due to boot issues